Monday, September 28, 2009

This is what's for dinner

People crave things. Whether it be a salty pretzel after downing some draft beer. Or a chocolate morsel after a long day of hearing people’s problems. Or maybe a stuffed pizza when you are feeling completely inadequate and are questioning your placement on earth. I am not into those things. My craving is a tad more perverse. I think about it nightly. I sometimes find myself drifting into its spell. My drug of choice is of the animal kind. I crave beef.
Beef and its sanguine glory. It’s flesh that only a true man can understand. It is epitome of carnage. A vestige of veracity. It’s sublime savory sensation makes me salivate while I drown in anticipation of my next bite. The dripping juice is the liquid that sustains life. It is the pinnacle protein. And I cannot believe why people opt not to eat it.
In all seriousness, beef is a great option for dinner. It is high and protein. There are also very lean cuts of beef. Sirloins, filet and roasts are options to have beef without the fatty gristle that one might think when say you order a rib eye. Beef is not some less healthy option. It is not the evil meat. So skip the chicken one night and go hog wild. (no pun, obviously)
Another benefit of beef is that it is high in creatine. Creatine is necessary component in building muscle. So when you are trying to lose weight and gain muscle, beef is an easy way to make it happen. Not that I am against fish and chicken, but if you are looking for pure muscle growth, beef is the right animal (This time pun intended).
Lastly, beef can actually speed up your metabolism. Beef is a very dense protein and it takes time and effort for your body to process it. The amount of energy that your body expends in breaking down beef actually burns calories because it takes a longer endothermic process to break it down. The heightened endothermic process burns calories. Just like whole fruits and fibrous greens, beef speeds up your metabolism and can make you shed some extra pounds without much effort. It won’t help if you cover the beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. But if you eat steak with say an avocado, and a spinach salad, you are going to do some great things to beef up your metabolism.
So next time you say, “I try not to eat red meat”; think about this post and say, on second thought I’ll have the fillet. And welcome to beef week….Tuesday thru Friday are recipes dedicated to the bovine beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment