Monday, October 26, 2009

You have homework

Fitness Tip. Avoid barbells and machines
This request, I realize, is more difficult than any other fitness tip I can give you. I am sure that a lot of you go to the gym, use the machines, and do machines because that is what you know how to do. If that is the only way you can work out, do it. I am not going to stop you. Put if you are going to work out with free weights, use dumbbells over barbells. Here is why. Dumbbells use stabilizer muscles and core muscles, so it allows you a better-rounded workout. Barbells do not allow for the same amount of stabilizer muscles. Plus, if your favor your right side, while using the barbell, the right side will do all the work while the left side will be left out. Therefore, dumbbells are not so dumb after all.
Food tip: Think of a swap
Today I am starting a new thing on my blog. Think of a healthy swap of the day. I told you before, that the best way to get results is to think of healthy solutions to food that you like. So I decided to add something a tad more interactive on this post this week. Post a healthful swap that you do so that you can still have your favorite food but not sacrifice the flavor. I am going to give you three great ones. Hopefully, this will get your mind going so you can think of more. Post your responses on Facebook notes or on the blog itself.


1. Instead of mayonnaise, use an avocado. Same creaminess but better fat!
2. Instead of using oil in baked goods, use applesauce. It gives the same texture with less calories and saturated fat.
3. My favorite, instead of mashed potatoes, refer to my cannellini beans recipe. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment