Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10.13.09

Fitness Tip: Gimme a Break
Ok, for all of those who remember Nell Carter, do not think that I am conjuring up her image while talking of fitness. I mean really. But if you want to burn more fat and calories when you walk, swim, or run? Then take a break. The rate at which your body burns fuel may be boosted even higher if you break up a long cardio session into two back-to-back 30-minute sessions with a 20-minute break in between. Here is why. It is pure science that in rest, blood levels of free fatty acids build up. That bump in fatty acids burns fat cause acid burns stuff. Circulating the level of fatty acids after they build up by hitting the aerobic a bit more cause the acids to spread and burn more fat. Yes, it sounds convoluted. But I can’t make this stuff up.

Food Tip: Eat more greens
I love the taste of greens. I love escarole, spinach and kale and if I get randy, some broccoli rabe. Yes I am daring. You should be too. Greens are a terrific way to get vegetables without little to any calories. Greens are also a good source of oil. Here is how. I cook my greens in a sauté pan with a tsp of olive oil. The greens absorb the oil and wilt a bit. Then I add some chicken or vegetable stock. The oil stays in the greens, and oil is needed in our diets for heart health. Finish the greens with a bit of garlic powder and a pinch of nutmeg. Nutmeg loves greens. They could get married but nutmeg refuse to commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment