Monday, August 17, 2009

Inspiration

I often hear people talk about inspiration. Musicians always claim that some esoteric legends inspired their work. Authors always conjure up well-respected literary giants as sources of inspiration that somehow influenced their works. Quite frankly, I think its a lot of it is crap.

I have spent the greater part of my life looking for a divine intervention- something or someone that was going to tell me what I was meant to do. I have spent times meditating, countless hours of therapy, and of course- schooling. What I owe in student loans adds up to the gross domestic product of many nations. No teacher, no book, nothing ever spoke to me.

On a ridiculously hot, sticky and gross Sunday I saw inspiration. Ok I wasn’t in church- although wouldn’t that be a kick in the nuts. Nor did the heat make me delusional and I had some epiphany akin to a Navajo Sweat lodge. I went to a movie about a girl who blogs about Julia Child.

Alright so I am no fool. I know I am not the only one blogging because they saw the movie Julie & Julia. But for the first time in my life I wanted to race home and start something. I didn’t want to do anything but to get on my computer and start a challenge. And during the movie my inspiration came. I had an idea to start something that for the first time, I think I can finish.

I came to realize that inspiration does not come to you; rather inspiration is a product of trying something someone else tried and putting your own spin on it. No, I am not going to redo the recipes of Julia Child. But I am going to make my own culinary challenge.

I love to cook. I am a personal trainer. It just seems like a good fit for me to share how I struggle on a daily basis to balance both things- which easily can contradict each other.

The kitchen is the one place where I feel a sense of control. But while I cook I loose myself. Most of my life I have just gotten by. I have always felt a sense of purpose in the kitchen. I have always found a sense of accomplishment every time I made a meal. I love the end result! And so do my friends because at least twice a week they come over, (empty-handed) to enjoy my culinary feats.

In the gym something similar happens. I workout and I feel a rush. I feel like I am doing something good for myself. During that time I have a sense of focus and direction. I want all of you to use the gym and think of it as time to get away from the real world- rather than watching other’s people’s scripted reality on television.

So here is what I am going to do. With every entryI blog I am going to give you some advice on how you can love food and not feel like you wasted your time in the gym. I am going to give you tips, recipes and above all a sense of hope. You see people think that when they try to loose weight or stay healthy you have to give something up. I was raised Catholic. I gave up enough stuff during Lent - I am good for awhile. I would rather you learn how to substitute things so that you can make the best of what you .

So next, I am going to do some research I can sink my teeth into. And yes, the cheesy pun was intentional. I promise I will use more puns because the groan that you made when you read it is just too funny.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy this. I spent a few years working away at a blog and found it to be a rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great so far. I'm excited about taking the journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to be a part of this exciting new venture and look forward to enjoying the new recipes!

    ReplyDelete