Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blog Entry 8.20

Food Tip: Put down the spoon!
It is still warm and after being in sun it is good to cool down. Don’t have a tub of ice cream. I mean do I have to say that? Don’t waste your time in the gym. I recommend buying a bunch of red seedless grapes and putting them in the freezer. When you need to cool down or when you have a sweet tooth, this really does the trick. I know it is not the same as a tub of ice cream, but instead of feeling like a sloth , you can feel sated.

Fitness Tip: Have a plan.
I know why people do not do strength-training. It is not because people do not like weights, it is because they have no clue where to start. Going to a gym without a plan is like starting a war with no exit strategy. It is important to know what you want to do. Hire a trainer for a few sessions to get a routine down for you. Get a book that reveals some sort of guidance. Or simply say, legs today, upper body tomorrow. It can be really intimidating not knowing where to start. If I didn’t have my trainer before, I would never have learned what I know now. Also, bring a pen and record what you did. I can’t remember what I ate yesterday, do you expect me to remember what weight I had the lat pull down machine last Wednesday?
 
I have two vegetarians that are following me. Don’t get used to meatless meals! Sometimes, I do feel the need to lay off the meat. This usually happens when I eat to much the night before. I polished off those steaks last night, and I could use something light. So here is what I am making for lunch.

Recipe: Tex-Mex Salad
Serves three, or two hungry carnivores.
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 diced cucumber
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup diced celery
2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
1 scallion, cut thin
1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
 
Whisk together lemon juice , cumin, oil, and mustard in large bowl.. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese, and toss salad. (chuckle). Top with cheese and serve.

1 comment:

  1. This salad recipe looks delish - I'm gonna put this stuff on the shopping list and try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete