Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 5th, 2010

First of all, I had trouble transporting my Facebook notes to my blog...for yesterday's blog, checkout my Facebook notes. Friend me at Kevin Kusinski.

Fitness tip of the day: God I love the gym in January. You can just feel the excitement. It smells of promise, sweat and redemption. It is busy and despite the die-hard's drones because they may have to share equipment, it is the best time of the year.

Here's my suggestion for all of you embarking on their first or second day of their journey. It important to know that Rome was not built in a day. It takes more energy to take pounds off than to put them on. Remember that because we tend to forget it. We tend to think we spent our time in the gym, why does the scale not reflect it. The biggest thing I can tell you is that you must record, record, record. Write down what you and search the caloric content. Make sure that you are eating around 1300-1400 calories for women, and 1600-1800 calories for men trying to lose weight, and 2000-2200 for guys looking to gain muscle. Write down what you are eating. if nothing else, become accountable for your actions. Even if you don't last twenty minutes on the treadmill, become accountable for your food consumption. That is a victory in and of itself. It takes 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat. Hit the gym for 40 minutes a day and burn 500 calories and you are on your way. Sounds daunting, but remember what I just said about Rome.

Food Tip: Plan for the week

I can't say this enough. If you don not cook your meals and pre-portion them ahead of time, you will make bad choices and you will gain weight. I know this and you do. It is is easy to go to the drive-in or pick-up food because the last thing you want to do when you get home is cook. So do it before hand.

My big tip: Roast a turkey.
It is really one of the easiest thing to do. In fact, if monkeys were cleaner, they could probably do it. But I roast a turkey breast all the time. Here is why. First, having turkey on hand creates several menu options for the rest of the week that can be made in seconds. Second, cooking a real turkey breast is heck of a lot better than buying that processed, pre-cut turkey that contains mostly water, and probably gizzards and God knows what else. And third, who does not pick at a turkey. I pick at turkey like I pick on those geeks on American Idol who have no talent or shame. But picking at a turkey is good source of protein, it keeps you full and eating pure protein as snack literally sheds fats. Roasting a turkey is win/win.

Tomorrow: Stayed tuned for fast recipes to do with that turkey breast, beside a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment